#YouTubeRewind is here!
As 2020 draws near, it’s time to celebrate the moments that defined the past twelve months in pop culture. From a hockey-loving four year-old to Celine Dion’s carpool karaoke, YouTube Rewind is celebrating a whole lot of Canada, too.
Check out Canada’s annual lists of top trending videos and top music videos below.
In 2019, Canadians turned to YouTube to learn something new, and this year’s Rewind takes that to heart. We tuned in to understand the federal election results from CBC News and to get answers from Canadian-Australian Veritasium on how the Los Angeles reservoir improves water quality.
2019 also saw creators transform into mainstream celebrities with genre-defying influence: James Charles and Tati’s back-and-forth transcended the beauty community; Shane Dawson continued to find success with his longform docuseries format; and MrBeast’s challenge videos united viewers across the internet.
Collectively, these top 10 trending videos were watched 371 million times and for around 180 million hours. The channels behind them total more than 868 million subscribers.
Top Trending Videos - Canada
1. First We Feast - Gordon Ramsay Savagely Critiques Spicy Wings | Hot Ones
2. Coach Jeremy - 4 Year Old Mic'd up at Hockey
3. James Charles - No More Lies
4. Shane Dawson - Conspiracy Theories with Shane Dawson
5. UCLA Athletics - Katelyn Ohashi - 10.0 Floor (1-12-19)
6. Mr Beast - Make This Video The Most Liked Video On Youtube
7. The Late Late Show with James Corden - Céline Dion Carpool Karaoke
8. CBC News - Canada Votes 2019: Election Night Special
9. Vogue - 73 Questions With Kim Kardashian West (ft. Kanye West) | Vogue
10. Veritasium - Why Are 96,000,000 Black Balls on This Reservoir
In music, Lil Nas X emerged from obscurity to take the top spot, powerhouse female artists (Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish) continued to transform the sound of pop, and Canada’s own Shawn Mendes burned up both Canadian and global lists with his collab with Camila Cabello.
Top Music Videos - Canada
1. Lil Nas X - Old Town Road (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus) [Remix]
2. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
3. Ariana Grande - 7 rings
4. Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello - Señorita
5. Sam Smith, Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
6. Daddy Yankee & Snow - Con Calma (Video Oficial)
7. Lil Dicky - Earth (Official Music Video)
8. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care [Official Video]
9. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
10. Khalid, Kane Brown - Saturday Nights REMIX (Official Video)
Beyond top trending and music, Canadians are front and centre on other lists, from beauty to sports to education. Simply Nailogical’s new nail polish brand is one of the most liked beauty videos globally; the final seconds of the Raptors 2019 NBA Championship win on House of Highlights is one of the top ten trending sports videos, as is Raptors player Serge Ibaka for his cooking show “How Hungry Are You”; and creators like AsapSCIENCE are piquing the curiosity of millions with their educational videos.
For a deeper look at the year on YouTube and to see the top videos and trends in many other countries, head to this year's Rewind site.