I won’t tell you my age, but I will tell you that I was very aware of what was happening in the 90s. And it was awesome.
Now I’m a mom, with a young daughter heading back to school and my focus is: How can we, as a family, make this as painless as possible. Like many Canadians, I’m turning to my phone and to Google Search to get a head start on shopping. With all those searches underway, we now have a good idea of what’s trending for parents and students.
The list of what’s hot for Back to School 2017 fashion looks a lot like my wish list back in the 90s - overalls, hoodies, crop tops and flannel shirts are all rising in search interest. Gucci has set the tone for multiple fashion trends over the past few seasons, and that influence continues, with rising search interest for Gucci belts, sunglasses and slides.
Two ultimate 90s accessories are also back in a big way - the much-maligned fanny pack is cool again, and searches for Birkenstocks are at an all-time high. Interestingly, we see a big uptick in searches for “vegan” and “plastic” Birkenstocks.
And when it comes to back-to-school searches...
Top searched backpack color in the past week, Canada:
Top searched school supplies in the past week, Canada:
Trending questions on school in the past week, Canada:
- Where can I buy school workbooks?
- How to do cute hairstyles for middle school?
- What day does school start?
- When do the kids go back to school?
- What school will my child attend?
Trending questions on back to school in the past week, Canada:
- When do back to school sales start in Canada?
- When is back to school?
- When does school start?
- Why do school supplies cost so much?
- How to decorate your locker?
Trending questions on “where to buy” and school in the past week, Canada:
- Where to buy school uniforms near me?
- Where to buy cute school supplies?
- Where to buy uniforms for Catholic school?
- Where to buy school bags?
- Where to buy school backpacks?
Wishing you and yours a scrunchy-filled stress-free back-to-school shop!
Nicole Bell is a Canadian Googler, Mom and member of the Communications & Public Affairs team