Google in India launched its virtual Startup School last year with an acknowledgment that the Indian startup ecosystem, with close to one lac startups across the country, is no longer confined to India’s metros. As cities like Indore, Madurai and Gorakhpur have emerged as the birthing grounds for new startups, it became imperative to create pathways for founders to benefit from the institutional knowledge present among India’s very experienced entrepreneurs and their teams.
The response was very heartening - the launch edition of Startup School saw over 14000 startups participate from over 600 towns and cities, with tremendously encouraging feedback.
‘Monetizing an interview prep platform is very hard, with an effective product strategy and by leveraging best practices in Google analytics, we were able to build and understand user segments that led to 2X growth in paid users’
With insights from industry experts around building a scaled business for a niche audience, we made the investments in the right areas coupled with marketing & growth hacks and grew our user base by 10X
We enable customer engagement for offline SMB retailers with a hyperlocal app. Startup School provided product frameworks and insights on new user acquisition channels which helped us grow our quarterly revenue by 8X
Drawing on the success of the first cohort, we are pleased to announce the second edition of Startup School 2023, supported by Startup India - starting 11 July.
Presented in collaboration with Startup India which is joining hands with Google for the program design and outreach this year, this year’s program will span over eight weeks, featuring over 30 Google and industry experts via fireside chats with transformative entrepreneurs and VCs, as well as instructor-led sessions on a series of topics including AI, product and tech strategy, marketing & global growth and funding & leadership. We hope to reach 30,000 startups and help them innovate responsibly, learn best practices at scale through a curriculum tailored to the unique needs of the Indian ecosystem.
Manmeet K Nanda, Joint Secretary, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Govt of India said ‘India began its startup journey with the vision laid down by the Honorable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in January 2016 with the launch of the Startup India initiative and it gives me immense pleasure to launch the Google Startup School 2023 supported by Startup India and DPIIT. Startup India and Google with this shared mission of contributing to the growth of entrepreneurship in the country have come together to enable startups at scale through this program.’
Some key sessions and speakers from the Startup School 2023 agenda are:
- Deploying Cloud and unleashing the power of data - Bikram Bedi, Managing Director, Google Cloud India
- Government benefits available for entrepreneurs - Aastha Grover, Vice President, Invest India Head, Startup India, DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce & Industry
- Leadership strategies to be an effective founder - Vani Kola, Managing Director, Kalaari Capital
- Zero To One - product management for startups - Ashish Kashyap, Founder & CEO, Indmoney
- Shaping an effective product strategy - Nithin Kamat, Founder & CEO, Zerodha
- Building Android apps for next billion users - Sanjeev Barnwal, Founder & CTO Meesho
- A startup founder's guide to personal branding - Gayatri Yadav, Chief Marketing Officer, Peak XV Partners
- How AI is powering nextgen of startups solving for India's unique needs - Ajey Gore, Operating Partner- Technology Peak XV
- Managing relationship with your investors - Shuvi Shrivastava, Partner, Lightspeed
- Growing profitably: Principles for achieving your business goals with marketing - Afsar Ahmad, Co-founder, Gameberry Labs
If you’re leading a startup team and would like to plug in to lessons from experienced entrepreneurs who have been there, done that and written some pages of the Indian startup story along the way, sign up here.