The results are in and we are thrilled to introduce the first-ever class of YouTube NextUp Canada winners!
We received hundred of applications, proving that Canada is one creative country. The choices were tough, but in the end we narrowed it down to these 15 Creators who we think have the potential to become the next generation of stars on YouTube. They come from all across the country, and their creativity and storytelling abilities jumped out from the screen.
The selected NextUp Creators are a wildly talented and diverse bunch. We couldn’t have imagined a more interesting group of Creators for our first NextUp class in Canada:
- Sophia Beatbox: Sophia Yeh from Mississauga will astound you with her beatboxing tutorials - you will definitely find yourself attempting to make amazing sounds while watching her videos.
- Ben Willingdorf: Montrealer Ben Willingdorf isn’t afraid to take on big challenges - like building a snowman bigger than his house, or a home-made golf cart.
- Samurai Guitarist: Steven Onotera from Winnipeg fuses his mastery of guitar with his love of video games and popular music, along with his tips for mastering a musical life.
- Bright n’ Boldly: Beatrice Agyeman from Toronto has got the tips and tricks you need to have your best natural hair ever, along with holistic beauty and wellness.
- Bizzy Boom. Toronto choreographer Brandon Owusu will have you moving your feet to the beat with his step-by-step tutorials and class dance performances.
- Chris Ramsay: Chris Ramsay from Montreal is redefining street magic, one video at a time. Prepare to be amazed!
- acapellascience: A spoonful of music helps the science go down on Montrealer Tim Blais’ channel.
- Pankobunny: East meets West in Torontonian Cayla DeVille Gallagher’s channel, where “edible cuteness” is the ultimate goal.
- The Hockey Movement: from training programs to product reviews to how to build a backyard rink, Jeremy Rupke of Huntsville, Ontario is your guide on the ice.
- NsomniaksDream: Megan Walter’s astounding makeup tutorials are not for the faint of heart. This Burlington, Ontario artist will help you master your inner ghoul, zombie or killer clown.
- BeatDrop: Based in Calgary and online, this music production and DJ school, founded by Mitch Lee, will have you producing tracks and DJing in no time.
- Alexandra Villaroel Abrego: Montrealer Alexandra Villaroel Abrego’s inspiring and empowering videos are the life coach you’ve always wanted - in English, French AND Spanish.
- Brittany Sarah: Red hair, don’t care! Brittany Adams from Toronto shares her favourite beauty and makeup looks, along with a few insider tips from her time in the film industry.
- Fraser Cain: Vancouver-based Fraser Cain’s channel will explain the mysteries of the universe, its mix of videos on space, sci-fi and popular culture.
- Shereen Ladha: If you’ve ever dreamed of dancing like a Bollywood star, Shereen Ladha from Richmond Hill, Ontario, has got the tutorials you’ve been waiting for!
These Creators will each receive a $3,200 voucher from YouTube to purchase new production equipment, and will participate in a five-day Creator Camp at YouTube Space Toronto, learning about video production and techniques to take their creative businesses to the next level. NextUp Creators will also be provided with a YouTube Partner Manager, to help guide their channel’s development, along with extensive networking opportunities with established Creators.
Canada is a hotbed of creativity, and YouTube is at its heart. We have a thriving community of YouTubers from coast to coast, and our first NextUp class is destined to continue the incredible growth of Canadian talent on the platform. We can’t wait to see what they create next!