There’s a lot you can do with the Google app – from immersing yourself in 3D augmented reality to sending a message to loved ones and searching for fashion inspiration. Here are a few of our favorite ways to use the Google app for Android and iOS to search for information and get things done through text, your voice or even your phone’s camera.
Go beyond the search box
With the Google app, you can go beyond using text to find information and inspiration in a variety of helpful and innovative ways. For example, you can:
- Search with text and images at the same time: With multisearch in Lens, you can now use text and images at the same time to search for those hard-to-express queries. To get started, simply open up the Google app on Android or iOS, tap the Lens camera icon and either search one of your screenshots or snap a photo of the world around you, like the stylish orange dress that you actually want in green. Then, swipe up and tap the "+ Add to your search" button to add text.
- Speak – or hum! – to Search: In addition to searching with your camera, you can also use your voice to search on the Google app instead of typing. Just tap the mic icon and say whatever it is you want to search for on Google. What about if you can’t remember the name of a song or the words, but the tune is stuck in your head? The Google app can help you figure it out. Tap the mic icon and say, “What's this song?” or click the “Search a song” button. Then start humming, whistling or singing for 10-15 seconds. Don’t worry, you don’t need perfect pitch to use this feature!
- Keep up with your interests: With Discover, you can get updates for your interests, like your favorite sports teams, celebrities, fitness routines, and more. If you have personal results enabled, you can follow and unfollow topics and browse through a visual and immersive set of stories and updates tailored to your interests. You can read more about how to customize what you find in Discover on our support page. And you can save links, images, and places from Google search results to Collections within the app to easily find them later.
Stay organized and save time
With the Google app, you can knock out important tasks quickly and easily to take your productivity to the next level.
- Keep your calendar updated: You can create Calendar events using Google Assistant, and also see Calendar updates, like important meetings that are upcoming. You can also get notifications when it’s time to leave for your event.
- Copy your handwritten notes: If you’ve taken notes on paper, you can use Lens to quickly copy and paste the text to your phone, or to another signed-in device with Chrome like your computer. No more retyping those handwritten notes!
- Make calls and texts: Want to get in touch with someone quickly? The Google app lets you use Google Assistant to send messages (or make calls) with your voice – no need to even open up your texts to type something out.
- Simplify your checkout: Forgot to order something for your upcoming camping trip? With the Google app, you can autofill saved info – like your addresses or payment info – for a seamless checkout.
Learn new facts, concepts and skills
There are many ways you can use the Google app to help you learn new things – immersing yourself in new concepts and getting help breaking down complex problems.
- Translate: Learning a new language, or did you come across a photo with text in another language? Lens can translate more than 100 languages, such as Spanish and Arabic, and you can tap to hear words and sentences pronounced out loud.
- Get homework help: You can use Lens to get help on a homework problem. With step-by-step guides and videos, you can learn and understand the foundational concepts to solve math, chemistry, biology and physics problems.
- Immerse yourself in AR: Augmented reality is also a powerful tool for visual learning. With Lens, you can view and interact with 3D objects and concepts – from animals, to STEM concepts, to world monuments, to your favorite athletes – right from Search. Placing these 3D objects directly into your own space can give you a sense of scale and detail.
The Google app offers the best way to search – enabling you to go beyond the search box to uncover new information, enhance your productivity, and have fun along the way.