From die hard fans to party hosts to “here for the commercials”, all sorts of Canadians turned to YouTube and Google Search this year to help them celebrate the big game. Take a look at the moments, ads, recipes and more that captivated our nation before, during and after the broadcast.
The Big Game Ads
For those Canadians who are just in it for the ads, YouTube is the destination to check out this year’s uplifting and entertaining lineup, and makes it easy to watch and re-watch our favourites.
In the lead up to Sunday, we saw advertisers tease ad trailers to increase anticipation for the show. Released two weeks before the big game, Mr. Peanut’s cliffhanger death has already amassed 7M+ views on YouTube. Google also shared “Loretta” in advance, which tells the story of a man who uses the Google Assistant to keep the memory of his love alive.
From Boston accents to groundhog, here are the the top-watched Super Bowl ads in Canada on YouTube*:
1. Genesis Motors - Going Away Party | Genesis GV80 | Genesis Motors Canada: Chrissy Teigen and John Legend host a party calling out and saying farewell to old luxuries, such as lying about plastic surgery, and saying hello to new luxuries like the Genesis GV80.
2. Jeep - Jeep® | “Groundhog Day” | Bill Murray | 02.02.2020: In celebration of Groundhog Day, and playing on the movie featuring Bill Murray, Bill takes a groundhog and escapes in an orange Jeep for endless adventures.
3. Rocket Mortgage - Jason Momoa Super Bowl Commercial 2020 | Rocket Mortgage: Watch Jason Momoa get super comfortable at home in this 2020 Super Bowl commercial. Behind the muscles and hair is just a guy trying to relax at home - the one place he can truly be himself.
4. Doritos - Doritos® | The Cool Ranch feat. Lil Nas X and Sam Elliott: The ranch just got cooler. Watch Lil Nas X and Sam Elliott reach for the sky and drop it down low in a winner-takes-all western showdown the world has never seen before.
5. Hyundai - Smaht Pahk | 2020 Hyundai Sonata: Hyundai pays homage to Boston by featuring Chris Evans, John Krasinski, Rachel Dratch, and David “Big Papi” Ortiz react to one of the Sonata’s newest and smartest features: Remote Smart Parking Assist.
6. Google - Loretta | Google Super Bowl Commercial 2020: A man reminisces about the love of his life with a help from his Google Assistant to search for photos, places visited, a favourite movie and more. With Google’s help he won’t forget these cherished memories.
7. Visit Jamaica - Jamaica Heartbeat of the World: Jamaica Tourist Board shares many wonderful reasons why now is the time to plan a trip to the island.
8. Amazon - Amazon Super Bowl Commercial 2020 - #BeforeAlexa: Amazon gives us a blast from the past answering the question “What did we do before Alexa?” With a medieval theme, people cover everything, from the temperature to news to jokes, all features on Alexa. (Features Ellen Degeneres and Portia)
9. Disney Plus - “Big Game” Spot | Marvel Studios | Disney+: Disney+ announces that their Universe is expanding. Marvel Studios’ The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision, and Loki are coming soon to Disney+.
10. Audi - Audi Presents: Let It Go: Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams sings Disney’s ‘Let It Go’ from Frozen while she’s driving around in the all-new Audi e-tron Sportback in this spot.
The Halftime Show
Canadians turn to YouTube to watch what they’re passionate about, and during this year’s big game, that appears to be the halftime show! This year’s explosive performance sent viewers to YouTube to see more. Searches for Jennifer Lopez and Shakira spiked dramatically during the game, inspiring people at home to “get on the floor!”.
Provinces across the country celebrated the Super Bowl in different ways, and with different snacks! We took a look at the top trending recipes before the big game to see what Canadians would be munching on.
The Top Trending Questions
This year’s game brought Canadians to their Search bar to learn more. Here are the top searched questions that Canadians searched during the Super Bowl:
*We measure gameday views to create a level playing field between ads uploaded before and during the game.